|August 16, 2084|
|5'11" (180 cm)|
|145 lbs (66 kg)|
|MFA Operations Department - Suppressing Action Department|
Guerrilla Operations (former)
Public Safety Bureau (former)
|Tomoyo Kogami (mother)|
Inspector Akane Tsunemori
File No. 001
Inspector Shinya Kogami
|0101 Crime Coefficient|
Shinya Kogami (狡噛 慎也 Kougami Shinya) is a Tactical Advisor within the Suppressing Action Department of the Foreign Affairs Operations Department. Prior to this, he roams southeast Asia serving as a mercenary in foreign countries, like Shambala Float, helping oppressed populations gain autonomy. Prior to his soujourn, he is an Inspector within Division 01 of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Public Safety Bureau until the Specimen Case, then as an Enforcer before his illegal actions against Shogo Makishima and his escape from the PSB force him into exile.
Kogami is a male of average height and a muscular build in his 30's. He has gray eyes, short tousled dark brown hair and pale skin. As a member of the CID, he is seen wearing a black suit, white dress shirt and black tie. He wears a gray coat over his suit when on a mission. In 2116, he wears an olive green, military-style shirt and pants with a bulletproof vest and brown combat boots. He also carries a traditional gun in a light brown holster. In Psycho-Pass 3, he wears civilian clothing.
Kogami is a skilled detective, his ability to solve cases quickly making him a valuable asset to Division 01, his original assignment. As an Enforcer, he is subordinate to his childhood best friend, Nobuchika Ginoza, who is an Inspector and lead officer. Although the two often seem at odds, they respect one another's judgment regarding police work. Kogami is cool-headed and detached while working a case with sharp instincts and insight into the criminal mind. The way he deals with investigations leaves even the best Enforcers impressed and appalled, as he usually uses risky methods to solve them. However, despite his mostly serious personality, Kogami has a sense of humor and finds it amusing to tease rookie Inspector, Akane Tsunemori, especially about how she once shot him with a Dominator during her first assignment with Division 01.
In the past and while still an Inspector, he develops strong bonds with his Enforcers, one of whom is
Mitsuru Sasayama. When Sasayama dies a horrible death while on the job, Kogami's emotions spiral out of control and his crime coefficient rises, leading to his demotion to Enforcer rank. He also has some less disciplined tendencies, as seen in his deliberate provocation of Yuji Kanehara.
As time progresses, Kogami begins to suspect the weaknesses of the Sibyl System. When Sibyl refuses to help him get revenge for Sasayama's death, he turns against the PSB, then finds and kills Makishima on hius own. Eventually, he leaves Japan altogether and becomes a leading force in the conflict in Shambala Float involving Colonel Nicholas Wong's army and a guerrilla group.
His experiences abroad and his subsequent joining the Ministry of Foreign Affairs's Suppressing Action Department sees Kogami in Psycho-Pass 3 at the height of his physical prowess, yet still wary of the Sibyl System and the PSB, though he chooses to return to Japan rather than continuing a nomadic lifestyle.
Kogami is born in Kanagawa to Tomoyo Kogami and her unnamed husband. In high school he meets Ginoza and they become close friends after Kogami saves Ginoza from bullies. While there, he majors in social science and takes up kickboxing and wrestling as hobbies, rarities since students only study these arts as a means of stress reduction. When Ginoza tells Kogami his future plans of becoming an Inspector, Kogami decides to do the same, graduating at the top of his class and scoring 721 points on the entry exam. He later follows Ginoza in becoming an Inspector and entering Division 03.
Three years before Tsunemori enters the Public Safety Bureau, Kogami is an Inspector transferred to Division 01 and given the task of watching over his own Enforcers, one of which is Mitsuru Sasayama. Though warned to stay detached, Kogami and Sasayama become friends.
They are given a case they nickname The Specimen Case because the victims' bodies are dismembered, then encased in synthetic material and displayed in public, much like an insect specimen in amber. Sasayama is on the verge of finding the murderer when he is brutally dismembered and displayed in the same manner as the other victims.
Kogami is the first one to find Sasayama's dismembered and deformed body. The horror causes a sharp rise in Kogami's crime coefficient and, refusing to take treatment, he continues to work on the case and is eventually deemed a latent criminal and demoted to Enforcer.
Tokyo Prefecture, Chiyoda Ward, 2nd Street 1-8
Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau Building, Criminal Investigation Department First Division
Emergency Contact Information
Kanagawa Prefecture, Sagamihara City, Midori Ward, 5-21-B
Tomoyo Kogami (relation: mother)
March 2100 ‒ Graduates from Kanagawa Prefecture Kanagawa Higashi Middle School, General Education
April 2100 ‒ Enters Nitto School of Social Sciences, Social Psychology Department
March 2104 ‒ Graduates from Nitto School of Social Sciences, Social Psychology Department
April 2104 ‒ Enters PSB; then the Public Safety Bureau's Career Instruction Center
September 2104 ‒ Finishes Public Safety Bureau's Career Instruction Center
October 2104 ‒ Assigned to CID Division 03 as an Inspector
February 2110 ‒ Resigns due to Psycho-Pass deterioration
April 2110 ‒ Assigned to CID Division 01 as an Enforcer
February 2113 ‒ Leaves Japan
July 2116 ‒ Is located during the investigation of illegal immigrants terrorism attempts case; subsequently flees yet again
2120 - Is seen as a Tactical Advisor for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Operations Department
August 2100 ‒ Earns a regular vehicle Driver's License (i.e. cars)
June 2102 ‒ Achieves Archaic Language Level 1 certification
August 2102 ‒ Earns a large two-wheeled vehicle Driver's License (i.e. motorcycles)
October 2103 ‒ Achieves Speed Reading Level 1 certification
March 2104 ‒ Achieves a higher education-level social science Teaching License
July ‒ Earns a large special vehicle Driver's License (i.e. construction vehicles)
Kogami and Tsunemori are colleagues in Division 01 - she as a rookie Inspector and he as an Enforcer under her supervision. Their work dynamic reminds Kogami that justice comes before duty and helps him rediscover what being a detective is truly about. He reconsiders his opinions and decides that her way of living is the correct one and thereafter holds great respect towards her. He once says of her, "She's a female who deeply loves law and order, and is also deeply loved by it." While working, Tsunemori gives him the latitude to work in his own way as she learns from his experience. Tomomi Masaoka states that they have a connection destined by fate. As friends, they mutually comfort and cheer one another. Before leaving Japan, Kogami leaves her a letter apologizing for breaking his promise and that he won't ask her forgiveness but, should they meet again, she should judge him as necessary. He also expresses his appreciation for the chance to work with her. At the conclusion of Psycho-Pass 3, Kogami visits Akane while she is imprisoned at the Tokorozawa Correction Center and they make amends and at the conclusion of First Inspector, he is ordered to pick her up upon her release from imprisonment. Their reunion is both friendly and humorous.
Ginoza and Kogami have known one another since high school, where they become best friends after Kogami defends Ginoza from bullying taunts about Masaoka's latent criminal status. Despite possessing different demeanors, they are very close. Even after Kogami is demoted to the rank of Enforcer, Ginoza holds Kogami in high regard, as seen when he hesitates to fire his Dominator at him despite a direct order from Sibyl to kill the fleeing Enforcer. It is only after Kogami becomes a mercenary rebel on Shambala Float that Ginoza sees how different his old friend has become. Even so, he administers personal justice with a one-two punch but allows Kogami to escape with a stern warning to stay away from Tsunemori. Following Kogami's draft into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ginoza and he seem to come to terms with their past actions and their friendship endures, though it is not known if it is as close as it used to be.
Sasayama is Kogami's colleague and friend until his murder in the Specimen Case, the very case which causes Kogami's crime coefficient to rise. After being demoted, Kogami becomes obsessed with finding Sasayama's killer, who is revealed to be Shogo Makishima.
Masaoka and Kogami have a positive relationship due to Kogami's friendship with Ginoza. They are also professional colleagues whose style of detective work is different, but equally effective. Masaoka has a safe house and it is there where Kogami hides out following his escape from the PSB, prior to leaving Japan.
- His ID as an Enforcer is 00475-AEDF-52510-2.
- He is designated Hound 3 as an Enforcer and Shepherd 2 as an Inspector.
- Kogami used to smoke 30 cigarettes daily, but nowadays about 20.
- His favorite brand of cigarettes is Spinel.
- On average, he sleeps only four hours per day, taking catnaps during the day.
- His fighting style is Silat, introduced to him by Sasayama, but he also excels at kickboxing and wrestling.
- His favorite food is hamburgers and his least favorite food is synthetic fish.
- His favorite brand of bottled water is "Anterctic Dorops".
- His hobbies are training, reading, and sometimes playing games with Shusei Kagari, while an Enforcer. His usual hobbies consist of making maintenance of equipment, reading, training and rope work.
- His motto is "Be gentle to others, but strict with oneself."
- His favorite saying is "Believe in your own power;don't always rely on others."
- His strengths are flashes of genius backed up with intelligence while his weakness is kindness.
- His desired item used to be a new training machine, but currently is a new paper book.
- His favorite authors include Stephen King, James Ellroy, Ernest Hemingway, Mangetsu Hanamura, Seishi Yokomizo and Juko Nishimura.
- His favorite books are The Long Walk by Stephen King and The Running Man because, after becoming an Enforcer, he relates to the respective protagonists.
- While being depicted as someone who rarely shows emotions, Kogami's smile while with Joji Saiga is sincere.
- The suits he wears as an Inspector are tailored to accommodate his body build.
- He keeps a self-crafted human-shaped punching bag in his room for bodybuilding.
- The key placed in front of Masaoka's grave is the one Masaoka gave to Kogami and is likely to have been placed there by Kogami himself.
- Before his departure from Japan, he calls Tsunemori with a non-trackable device. He tells her that whether dead or alive, it will be his last time seeing her. Tsunemori smiles and replies that she believes they will be able to be together again, as normal humans, like in the good old times, instead of Inspector and Enforcer where their positions are unequal.
- After leaving Japan, Kogami starts to hallucinate about Makishima.
- He believes that the essential things he needs for living abroad are knowledge, wisdom and physical strength.
- What he wants to do from now on is to think and practice daily.
- He bears a resemblance to Kyoya Hibari and Takeshi Yamamoto from the manga/anime Katekyo Hitman REBORN!, which is unsurprising since they share the same character designer.
- Psycho-Pass: The Movie
- Crime Coefficient
- Episode 3 ‒ Extended Edition
- Rearing Conventions
- Nobody Knows Your Face
- Return of the Lunatic Prince
- Psycho-Pass: The Novel
- Nobody Knows Your Mask
- Transparent Shadow
- Those Capable
- And Then, Silence
- Promises Written in Water
- Perfect World
- Audio Drama – "After Stories"
|Joshu Kasei - Harumi Hosorogi|
|Akane Tsunemori - Mika Shimotsuki - Kiyoka Tedzuka - Yuan Kira - Fuse - Arata Shindo - Kei Mikhail Ignatov|
|Shinya Kogami - Tomomi Masaoka - Nobuchika Ginoza - Yayoi Kunizuka - Shusei Kagari - Mitsuru Sasayama - Sakuya Togane - Sho Hinakawa - Kaede Hasuike - Teppei Sugo - Kenta Yatsuka - Ryoichi Naito - Ryunosuke Hirako - Kazumichi Irie - Tenma Todoroki - Mao Kisaragi|
|Risa Aoyanagi - Mizue Shisui - Masawa Shimomura - Tetsuji Bando - Norimasa Inogashira|
|Ryogo Kozuki - Akira Yamatoya - Kasumi Senoo - Tochigi Morikubo - Kenji Inokuma - Shin Kanoe|
|Moe Suzuki - Shuichiro Domoto - Yoshitoshi Waku|
|Kaname Shinjo - Tetsuya Hyodo - Tsubaki Aikawa - Takayuki Haga - Koichi Hatano - Mai Momota - Ayaka Takami - Naoto Kurata - Hina Amari - Tsubasa Torii|
|Shion Karanomori - Joji Saiga - Maru|