|“||I'm sorry. I couldn't keep my promise. I wanted to go into a line of work where I could protect people. That's why I became a detective. But Makishima changed everything. That man will continue to kill people. And yet, the law can't judge him. As long as I'm a detective, I can't touch him. This case made me aware... that the law can't protect people.||”|
|August 16, 2084|
|5'11" (180 cm)|
|145 lbs (66 kg)|
Public Safety Bureau (former)
|Tomoyo Kogami (mother)|
|Chapter 1 - Crime Coefficient (KTA)|
File No. 001 (KKS)
|0101 Crime Coefficient|
Kogami has gray eyes, short tousled black hair and pale skin with a tall and muscular build. He usually wears a black suit and tie, as both an Enforcer and an Inspector. When in the field, Kogami wears a gray coat over his suit.
In 2116, he wears a khaki green, military-style shirt and pants with a bulletproof vest and brown combat boots. He also carries a traditional gun in a light brown holster.
Kogami is a highly skilled detective, his ability to solve cases quickly making him a valuable asset to Division 1, his original assignment. There, he is an Enforcer and subordinate to his childhood best friend, Nobuchika Ginoza who is an Inspector and lead officer. Although the two often seem at odds, they respect one another's judgment regarding police work. Kogami is cool-headed and detached while working a case with sharp instincts and insight into the criminal mind. The way he deals with investigations leaves even the best Enforcers impressed and appalled, as he usually uses risky methods to solve them. However, despite his mostly serious personality, Kogami has a sense of humor and finds it amusing to tease rookie Inspector, Akane Tsunemori, especially about how she once shot him with a Dominator during her first assignment with Division 1.
In the past and while still an Inspector, he develops a strong bond with his Enforcers, one of whom is Mitsuru Sasayama. When Sasayama dies a horrible death while on the job, Kogami's emotional attachment and resulting feelings cause his Crime Coefficient to rise, leading to his demotion to Enforcer rank. He is also shown to have some wild tendencies that may have been encouraged by Sasayama. An example of this is seen in his deliberate provocation of Yuji Kanehara.
As time progresses, Kogami begins to suspect the weaknesses of the Sibyl System. When Sibyl refuses to help him get revenge for Sasayama's death, he turns against the MWPSB and goes into hiding to find Shogo Makishima for himself. Eventually, he leaves Japan altogether and becomes a leading force in a conflict in Shambala Float involving Colonel Wong's army and a guerrilla group.
Kogami is born in Kanagawa to Tomoyo Kogami and her unnamed husband. During high school, he meets Nobuchika Ginoza and they become close friends after Kogami saves Ginoza from bullies. When Ginoza tells Kogami his future plans of becoming an Inspector, Kogami follows suit and discovers his passion for justice.
While in high school, Kogami majors in social science and takes up kickboxing and wrestling as hobbies, rarities as such since students only study these arts as a means of stress reduction. He graduates at the top of his class and scores 721 points on the same entry exam Tsunemori takes. He later follows his best friend, Ginoza, in becoming an Inspector and entering Division 3.Three years before Tsunemori enters Division 1, Kogami is an MWPSB Inspector transferred to Division 1, given the task of watching over his own Enforcers, one of which is a young man named Mitsuru Sasayama. Though warned to stay detached, Kogami and Sasayama become friends. They are given a case, which they nickname "The Specimen Case" because the victims' bodies are dismembered, then encased in synthetic material and displayed in public, much like an insect specimen in amber. Sasayama is on the verge of finding the murderer when he, himself, is brutally dismembered and displayed in the same manner as the other victims. Kogami is the first one to find Sasayama's dismembered and deformed body. The horror causes a sharp rise in Kogami's Crime Coefficient; refusing to take treatment, he continues to work on the case and is eventually demoted to Enforcer.
Emergency Contact Information
March 2100 ‒ Graduates from Kanagawa Prefecture Kanagawa Higashi Middle School, General Education
April 2100 ‒ Enters Nitto School of Social Sciences, Social Psychology Department
March 2104 ‒ Graduates from Nitto School of Social Sciences, Social Psychology Department
April 2104 ‒ Enters Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau; enters Public Safety Bureau Career Training Institute
September ‒ Leaves the same institute
October ‒ Assigns to Criminal Investigation Department Third Division as an Inspector
February 2110 ‒ Leaves due to Psycho-Pass deterioration
April 2110 ‒ Assignment to the Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau Criminal Investigation Department Third Division as an Enforcer
February 2113 ‒ Flees from MWPSB
July 2116 ‒ Is located during the investigation of illegal immigrants terrorism attempts case; flees subsequently
August 2100 ‒ Earns a regular vehicle Driver's License (i.e. cars)
June 2102 ‒ Achieves Archaic Language Level 1 certification
August ‒ Earns a large two-wheeled vehicle Driver's License (i.e. motorcycles)
October 2103 ‒ Achieves Speed Reading Level 1 certification
March 2104 ‒ Achieves his higher education-level social science Teaching License
July ‒ Earns a large special vehicle Driver's License (i.e. construction vehicles)
Kogami and Tsunemori are colleagues; she, as a rookie Inspector and he, as an Enforcer under her supervision. Their first time working together reminds Kogami that justice comes before duty and helps him rediscover what being a detective is truly about. He also considers that her way of living is the correct one and holds great respect towards her as he once said "This girl is amazing. She's a female who deeply loves law and order, and also deeply loved by it. Her expression is just like a prayer to the heavens." They establish a friendly rapport with Tsunemori giving him the latitude to work in his own way as she learns from his experience. Masaoka states that they have a connection destined by fate. They are shown to mutually comfort and cheer one another. Before leaving the MWPSB, he leaves Tsunemori a letter letting her know he's sorry about breaking his promise and that he won't ask her forgiveness; but, should they meet again, she should judge him as necessary. He also expresses his appreciation for the chance to work with her.
Ginoza and Kogami have known one another since high school, where they develop a deep friendship after Kogami defends Ginoza from bullies taunting him about Masaoka's latent criminal status. Despite possessing different demeanors, they are very close. Even after Kogami is demoted to the rank of Enforcer, Ginoza holds Kogami's life in high regard as may be seen when he hesitates to fire his Dominator despite a direct order from Sibyl to kill the fleeing Enforcer. It is only after Kogami flees Japan and becomes a mercenary rebel on Shambala Float that Ginoza sees how different his old friend has become. Even so, he administers personal justice with a one-two punch but allows Kogami to escape with a stern warning to stay away from Tsunemori.
He is Kogami's colleague and friend until his murder in the Specimen Case, the very case which causes Kogami's Crime Coefficient to rise. After being demoted, Kogami becomes obsessed with finding Sasayama's killer, who is revealed to be Shogo Makishima.
Masaoka and Kogami have a positive relationship due to Kogami's friendship with Ginoza. They are also professional colleagues whose style of detective work is different, but equally effective. Masaoka has a safe house and it is there where Kogami hides out following his escape from the MWPSB, just prior to leaving Japan.
- His ID as an Enforcer is 00475-AEDF-52510-2.
- Kogami used to smoke about thirty cigarettes a day, but nowadays he "only" smokes about twenty.
- His favorite brand of cigarettes is Spinel.
- On average, Kogami sleeps only four hours per day, taking catnaps during the day to refresh himself.
- He is designated as Hound 3, as an Enforcer and Shepherd 2, as an Inspector.
- His fighting style is Silat, introduced to him by Sasayama. But he also excels at kickboxing and wrestling.
- His favorite food is hamburgers and his least favorite food is synthetic fish.
- His favorite brand of bottled water is "Anterctic Dorops".
- His hobbies are training, reading, and sometimes playing games with Shusei Kagari, as an Enforcer. Currently, Kogami's hobbies consist of making maintenance of equipment, reading, training and rope work.
- His motto is, "Be gentle to others but strict to oneself."
- Kogami's favorite saying is "Believe in your own power. Don't always rely on others."
- His strengths are "Flashes of genius backed up with intelligence" and his weakness is "Kindness."
- His desired item used to be a new training machine, but currently is a new paper book.
- His favorite authors include Stephen King, James Ellroy, Ernest Hemingway, Mangetsu Hanamura, Seishi Yokomizo and Juko Nishimura.
- His favorite books are The Long Walk by Stephen King and The Running Man because, after becoming an Enforcer, he relates to the respective protagonists.
- While being depicted as someone who rarely shows emotions, Kogami's smile while with his former teacher Saiga is shown to be sincere.
- The suits he wears as an Inspector are tailored to accommodate his body build.
- Kogami keeps a self-crafted human-shaped punching bag in his room for bodybuilding.
- The key placed in front of Masaoka's grave is the one Masaoka had given to Kogami as a present and is likely to have been placed there by Kogami himself.
- Before his long-term leave of absence, Kogami calls Tsunemori with a non-trackable device. He says that whether dead or alive, it will be his last time seeing her. Tsunemori smiles and replies that she believes they will be able to be together again, as normal humans like in the good old times, instead of Inspector and Enforcer where the positions are not equal.
- After leaving Japan, Kogami starts to hallucinate about Makishima in a similar way Tsunemori hallucinates about Funahara, Masaoka and Kagari.
- Kogami thinks that the essential minimum of things he needs for living abroad is knowledge, wisdom and physical strength.
- When being asked what dreams has he seen recently, he answers with "Nothing in particular."
- What he wants to do from now on is to think and practice daily.
- Kogami bears a resemblance to Kyoya Hibari and Takeshi Yamamoto from the manga/anime Katekyo Hitman REBORN!, which is notable since they share the same character designer.
- ↑ 
- ↑ Gekijo-ban: Psycho-Pass
- ↑ Crime Coefficient
- ↑ Episode 3 ‒ Extended Edition
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Rearing Conventions
- ↑ Nobody Knows Your Face
- ↑ Return of the Lunatic Prince
- ↑ Psycho-Pass: The Novel
- ↑ Nobody Knows Your Mask
- ↑ Transparent Shadow
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Those Capable
- ↑ And Then, Silence
- ↑ Promises Written in Water
- ↑ Perfect World
- ↑ Audio Drama – "After Stories"
|Akane Tsunemori - Mika Shimotsuki - Kiyoka Tedzuka|
|Shinya Kogami - Tomomi Masaoka - Nobuchika Ginoza - Yayoi Kunizuka - Shusei Kagari - Mitsuru Sasayama - Sakuya Togane - Sho Hinakawa - Kaede Hasuike - Teppei Sugo - Kenta Yatsuka - Ryoichi Naito - Ryunosuke Hirako|
|Risa Aoyanagi - Mizue Shisui - Masawa Shimomura|
|Ryogo Kozuki - Akira Yamatoya|
|Moe Suzuki - Shuichiro Domoto - Yoshitoshi Waku|
|Kaname Shinjo - Tetsuya Hyodo - Tsubaki Aikawa - Takayuki Haga - Koichi Hatano - Mai Momota - Ayaka Takami - Naoto Kurata - Hina Amari - Tsubasa Torii|
|Shion Karanomori - Joji Saiga - Maru|